International Education Week
Posted On: 11/09/18
Nov. 12-16 is International Education Week - a joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education used to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide.
Did you know:
- KCC has international students from Australia, Brazil, Germany, Israel, South Korea, Trinidad and Tobago, and Vietnam.
- KCC has a Global Awareness Club which strives to educate and raise awareness of international culture to create a student-centered group on diversity issues.
There are several benefits to international education including, but not limited to:
- International students foster a diverse campus environment and enhance learning by offering different cultural perspectives.
- International students can broaden domestic students’ cultural views and perceptions, promoting understanding, inclusiveness and respect. This global view is beneficial in an increasingly connected world.
- The Association of International Educators’ (NAFSA) latest analysis finds that the 1,078,822 international students studying at U.S. colleges and universities contributed $36.9 billion and supported more than 450,000 jobs to the U.S. economy during the 2016-17 academic year (NAFSA, 2016). NAFSA is the world’s largest nonprofit association dedicated to international education and exchange.
- By studying in the U.S., international students broaden their worldview, experience the U.S. student lifestyle, can choose from a broad range of programs, gain experience in their field of study, and make diverse friendships.
How to show support for international students:
- Post an International Education Week or You are Welcome Here poster. Printed posters are available in KCC’s Welcome Center.
- #YouAreWelcomeHere is a welcome message from U.S. higher education to international students around the world. It is a campaign designed to affirm that our institutions are diverse, friendly, safe and committed to student development. Learn more here.
- Use the hashtag #YouAreWelcomeHere and/or #IEW2018 in your social media posts to demonstrate the way KCC supports and values international students.
- Add this overlay to your Facebook profile picture.
- Participate in the “Exchange Your Name” game, then share your answers on social media with #IEW2018.
Kankakee Community College is an accredited two-year college which awards associate degrees and certificates of completion. KCC prepares students both to transfer to four-year colleges and to enter the workforce. The college also offers continuing education courses and certification training, literacy programs, English as a Second Language and GED preparation. The KCC mission is “Enhancing quality of life through learning.” The college has a Riverfront Campus in Kankakee, South Extension Center in Watseka, North Extension Center in Bradley and Manufacturing and Industrial Technology Center in Kankakee.
Director of marketing and public relations