Online professional development
The Continuing Education Department at Kankakee Community College is offering online classes for professional development.
Fall start dates are Sept. 12, Oct. 17, Nov. 14 and Dec. 12.
A number of classes are offered. They include:
- “Writing Effective Grant Proposals,” which includes how to research and prepare grants, including writing a good introduction. The class includes helping the causes you most admire and avoiding errors that lead to rejections. In addition to steps for receiving a grant, there is a discussion of what must be done when the grant arrives. Cost is $115.
- “Spanish for Medical Professionals” is a fun and simple course with tools to bridge the communication gap. This class skip the “touristy” topics and focuses on Spanish usable in a medical setting. Cost is $115. Upon successful completion, 24 contact hours will be awarded to nurses.
- “Spanish in the Classroom” is a class that has tossed out long vocabulary lists and complex grammar rules and replaced them with games and stories to make learning easy, painless – even fun. Lessons include supplemental material to expand your vocabulary. Cost is $115. Upon successful completion, 24 Professional Development hours will be awarded to teachers.
- The “Certificate in Gerontology” is designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of health care professionals who work with the older adults. Cost is $210. Upon successful completion, 25 contact hours will be awarded to nurses, nursing home administrators, social workers, and counselors.
- In the “Certificate in Stress Management,” participants examine the relationship between stress and health, nutrition, and physical activity, including how it develops in the workplace. Topics include the psychological and physiological effects of stress, and how stress affects health and well-being. The class will cover effective therapies, including habits such as exercise and diet, which can counteract the negative impact of stress. Cost is $84. Upon successful completion, 14 contact hours will be awarded to nurses, nursing home administrators, social workers, and counselors.
- “Certificate in Women’s Health Issues” focuses on issues facing women, both globally and nationally. It addresses physical and mental health issues, with information on specific health issues for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning; effective and empowering communication; and self-care for health and well-being. Cost is $94. Upon successful completion, 14 contact hours will be awarded to nurses, nursing home administrators, social workers, and counselors.
- “Certificate in Perinatal Issues” is a multidisciplinary experience to develop skills of individuals who provide care and support for childbearing women, newborns, and families. The course offers a broad understanding of this specialized area of care to stay current with emerging trends. Cost is $115. Upon successful completion, 20 contact hours will be awarded to nurses, social workers and counselors.
These courses do not award college credit. More information and additional topics are available online at ed2go.com/kankakeecc or by phoning KCC at 815-802-8207.