Password changes coming
Posted On: 05/11/22
Effective May 13, KCC will address cybersecurity needs and requirements by college partners by requiring password changes every 90 days. As this policy begins, all users will receive a password change notification upon login on May 13.
New passwords must meet the following requirements:
- Eight character minimum.
- At least one upper case character, one lower case character, a number, and a special character.
- Cannot exceed two consecutive characters.
- Cannot contain the account name or parts of the user’s full name.
The following rules will also apply:
- Required password change every 90 days.
- Cannot use the last five previous passwords.
- Account will lock out for one hour after five failed attempts.
Cybersecurity is the responsibility of everyone using KCC’s computing resources. Having a secure, strong, password is fundamental in ensuring that our computing environment remains safe.
Here are password recommendations from KCC’s Information Technology Services Department. They can be used to assist in keeping all of your accounts secure.
- Use a phrase. This makes your password easier to remember, and adds security because it will be longer.
- Use a unique password for each account.
- Avoid words that can be found in the dictionary.
- Avoid putting numbers at the end of your password.
- Don’t just change the number every time you change your password.
Anyone with questions or concerns regarding this change can contact the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone 815-802‑8900.